Monday, February 22, 2010

Szechuan Noodles

adapted from a recipe via Ina Garten
  • 3 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1/8 cup fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup good soy sauce
  • 1/8 cup sherry vinegar (I use red wine vinegar)
  • 1/8 cup honey
  • 1/4 teaspoon hot chili oil (sometimes I leave this out)
  • 1 tablespoons dark sesame oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 pound spaghetti
  • 1 red bell pepper, julienned
  • 1 yellow bell pepper, julienned
  • 4 scallions, sliced diagonally (white and green parts)

Directions

Place the garlic and ginger in a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add the vegetable oil, , peanut butter, soy sauce , sherry vinegar, honey, chili oil, sesame oil, and ground peppers. Puree the sauce.

Add a splash of oil to a large pot of boiling salted water and cook the spaghetti al dente. Drain the pasta in a colander, place it in a large bowl, and while still warm, toss with 3/4 of the sauce. Add the red and yellow bell peppers and scallions; toss well. Serve warm or at room temperature. The remaining sauce may be added, as needed, to moisten the pasta.

p.s., I add more cayenne/heat if I want more heat or kick to it. Sometimes I save the sauce to use later, it stays good in the fridge for several days. I like it warm and cold!!

1 comment: